- Samsung aims to elevate smart homes by infusing AI into all appliances, offering tailored solutions based on user lifestyles.
- The enhanced Bixby and lightweight Tizen RT aim to create truly connected and personalized smart homes, with over 15 million devices operating on Tizen OS and more innovations to come at the Samsung Developer Conference 2023.
Samsung is taking a bold step to enhance smart homes with its AI-driven voice assistant, Bixby. During the recent IFA 2023 press conference, Samsung announced its ambitious plan to revamp Bixby by integrating advanced generative AI capabilities. These capabilities will become a standard feature in all forthcoming smart home appliances.
- Generative AI, which has gained popularity through tools like ChatGPT, Dall-E, and Google Bard, empowers systems to comprehend complex sentences and provide nuanced responses.
- In contrast to the current iteration of Bixby, the upgraded version will excel in deciphering intricate sentences with multiple layers of meaning.
- Initially, this enhanced Bixby will make its debut on Samsung’s smartphones and tablets.
Samsung’s Vision for Smart Homes
Miyoung Yoo, the Vice President of Samsung Electronics’ Home Appliances Division, expressed Samsung’s ambitious vision, stating, “All of Samsung Electronics’ smart home appliances will incorporate AI capabilities, including essential AI functions in water purifiers.”
Samsung’s objective extends beyond mere connectivity; they aim to empower smart home appliances to provide tailored solutions by understanding customers’ lifestyles and adapting to their routines.
Yoo envisions a future where smart home appliances transcend basic functions to offer customized operations based on user behaviors and preferences. However, it’s crucial to note that this enhanced Bixby won’t directly compete with heavyweight AI services like ChatGPT or Google Bard.
Enhanced Bixby and Tizen RT Integration
Yoo clarified, “While generative AI often conjures thoughts of services like ChatGPT, our goal is not to achieve such heavyweight performance. Bixby will understand conversation context, facilitating more natural interactions even without specific commands.”
Growing User Base on Samsung’s Tizen OS
In addition to enhancing Bixby, Samsung is introducing Tizen RT, a lightweight version of its Tizen OS designed specifically for smart home appliances.
- Samsung’s Tizen OS already boasts an impressive user base, with over 15 million devices running on it, a number expected to reach 20 million by year-end.
- The enhanced Bixby, combined with Tizen RT integration, seeks to transform smart homes into hubs of intelligence and convenience, where appliances intuitively cater to user needs, creating a truly connected and personalized living environment.
For further insights into the upcoming versions of Bixby, Tizen, and Tizen RT, watch for announcements during the Samsung Developer Conference 2023 event scheduled for October 5, 2023.
1. What is Samsung’s goal with AI in smart home appliances?
2. How does Samsung envision the role of Bixby in smart homes?
Bixby will enhance user interactions by understanding the conversation context for natural interactions.
3. How many devices currently use Samsung’s Tizen OS?
Over 15 million devices, with an expected 20 million by year-end.